Is Starlink Worth It? Is the RV Plan Service Worth the Price?
Are you wondering if Starlink is worth it?
Everyone wants the fastest internet connection they can get. And while we all want to save money, that doesn’t mean sacrificing quality.
So is Starlink worth it? Is it worth the price? The answer to these questions and many more are answered in this comprehensive review of the service.
What is Starlink RV?
The Starlink RV Internet plan is a revolutionary way of providing internet service to RVers that offers the potential to solve the congested Wi-Fi and slow or nonexistent internet that is so often a problem for RVers. It offers fast and reliable Internet service at a fraction of the cost of traditional satellite Internet services.
Starlink uses satellites to provide the internet instead of ground-based infrastructure like cell towers or fiber optic cables. This means that RV users can use Starlink to connect to the internet anywhere there is a clear view of the northern sky, even if they are in a remote area far from civilization.
The Starlink RV service is aimed at RVers and offers a range of benefits including unlimited data usage, no contracts, the ability to connect multiple devices and the option to turn on or off the monthly subscription plan.
How Does Starlink Work?
Starlink is a premium internet service that uses small satellite antennas to deliver low latency and fast speeds. To use the service, you need a Starlink kit and an installation location that has a clear view of the sky. The installation process is plug-and-play, and once installed, you can access the service through the Starlink app. Whether or not the premium service is worth the price depends on your needs and preferences.
How Much Does Starlink for RVs Cost?
- The Starlink for RVs plan cost $135 a month for internet service with no contract, and $599 up front for the satellite equipment.
Overall, the Starlink for RVs offers some significant benefits that may make it worth the price. The biggest draw is that with the RV add-on you will be able to pause the monthly payment on demand. Additionally, the satellite service provides consistently high speeds regardless of where you are in the country, making it ideal for working digital nomads and RV boondockers enjoying uninterrupted entertainment.
What Are the Pros of the Starlink RV Plan?
The Pros of Starlink include its ability to provide broadband access for remote areas lacking broadband access, its simple setup, and its strong Wi-Fi router included.
- Simple setup: Starlink is easy to set up. It takes me about 10 minutes to setup and get on the internet.
- Broadband access for remote locations: Starlink can provide broadband access for remote areas lacking broadband access.
- Solid Wi-Fi router included: The router that comes with Starlink is a strong and reliable one, which makes the service more stable and efficient.
- Good for those who need it: If you’re an RVer who likes to boondock in remote areas where there are no cell phone services, Starlink is a huge win!
What Are the Drawbacks of Starlink RV Plan?
Some people have reported problems with Starlink’s speeds and consistency. The satellite internet service can be fast, but it can also be slow or congested near large cities.
Some people have reported having trouble with Starlink’s upload speeds and connectivity in general. Additionally, the service doesn’t work well in trees and buffers the connection often.
Also, at the time of this writing, once you are on the RV plan, there is currently no way to move back to another subscription plan.
Starlink RV plan is deprioritized
Starlink for home recently had their speed deprioritized after reaching the data cap of 1 TB per month. However, the RV plan is already deprioritized and does not have a data cap. That said, even at the lower speeds we have not had any noticeable problems doing our internet work or streaming movies. However, I have heard that some people have had issues with Zoom conferences.
Many people are frustrated with the speeds and consistency of the service, as well as the high monthly price tag. For these reasons, many people are wondering if the service is really worth it.
- The Starlink system is expensive and has had some reliability issues.
- The initial speed promises have not been met.
- Starlink has 3,000+ satellites in low earth orbit, but the service is still lacking.
Personally, it is our experience that the slower speeds did not have any noticeable impact on our internet service.
Below are the recommended internet download speeds for playing TV shows and movies on Netflix.
|Netflix||Recommended megabits per second|
|High definition (HD)||720p: 3 Mbps|
|Full high definition (FHD)||1080p: 5 Mbps|
|4K/Ultra HD (UHD)||4K: 15 Mbps|
(See: Netflix Internet connection speed recommendations for more information.)
What Is the Installation Process for Starlink?
The installation process for Starlink is easy and straightforward. You can power Starlink through regular AC power sources or batteries and inverters. You then use use the Starlink app to manage and customize your network.
Extra mounting equipment may be needed and can be purchased in the shop once you place your order.
- The Starlink app for iOS and Android: Helps you determine the best installation location for your Starlink.
- Additional mounting equipment in the shop: In the event that you need more mounting equipment, you can purchase it in the Shop once you place your order.
- Easily install and use Starlink: The installation process is easy to follow, making it a great choice for users who are new to Starlink.
What Is the Customer Service Like for Starlink?
It’s a mixed bag. I have contacted Starlink’s customer service several times, and I’ve always received a response within 3 days or so. However, while some customers have had quick responses, others have had to wait weeks to hear back.
So, is Starlink Worth it?
Starlink for RV is a premium internet service with many features, including unlimited bandwidth and speeds. Although the price has increased since the service’s release, it is still worth the price because of its reliability, unlimited service, and value for money. The customer service is good, and I recommend Starlink to others.
- Starlink is faster than the national average: Starlink median download speed reported by Ookla hit 105 Mbps, which is more than enough to stream Netflix or Disney+ even in 4K.
- You don’t need to worry about data limits with Starlink with the RV plan.
- Although Starlink may be a bit heavier on the budget, for RVers who like to boondock in remote areas, it offers great internet service.
Bottom Line: Is Starlink worth it? We love our Starlink and we have yet to have any problems getting our internet work done or watching a movie on Netflix. Plus, we no longer camp near towns to get a cell signal.
We do, however, worry about the trees!